Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 2: Approval Needed

I have the worst taste in my mouth. Never put your finger in your mouth after using fingernail polish remover...& never drink milk after that. SICK. But that has nothing to do with anything at all. Just my stupidity, which has everything to do with why I feel like I'm failing everything when everything has hardly begun.
I've been told your early twenties suck and I'm starting to understand. "Not a girl, not yet a woman" syndrome, I suppose. Apparently, you're expected to function as a full fledged adult with an immaculate apartment, filled out planner, a well-trained dog, a steady relationship, and your shopping habit under control. Sadly, I don't know that I can check any of those suckers off. This week left me feeling like a giant disappointment to my parents. All I've been able to think about is my personal life and it's problems and how to better myself. And then it hits me (late, of course), "Oh my gosh...I need to work on my projects! That's how I'll do better! I'll make a really awesome project, & my parents still won't understand me but at least they'll be impressed & I will feel better!" & then it hits me again, "What am I doing this for, the art or the approval of others? What is my purpose? Should I be doing this?" I mull over these thoughts while scrolling through my favorite online store until I find a cute dress that will make everything all better...I will never have my online shopping habit under control. It's a bad, bad cycle.
Anyway, while looking at outfits and style boards online, I found one that inspired a character for my thesis film. After I realized I was inspired by a fashion post on Pinterest, I felt obnoxiously girly and sick at my materialistic habits. I looked at my vanity covered in make-up and 8 bottles of perfume and wanted to scream at myself for becoming the girl I always said I'd never be, but then I got an idea. My [current idea for my] thesis film will be about a dark side of materialism: obsession with make-up, fashion, and perfume. Boom. Take my personal problem and turn it into something worthwhile.
I'm thinking for my short project in this class I will do a silent comedic video. Just physical comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment