Sunday, January 15, 2012

Who, what, when, where, why?

Hello. My name is Alex Anderson. I'm a small town girl with big dreams...yeah, like you've never heard THAT before. I'm a 22 year old girl without a clue, but I somehow managed to bumble my way through undergrad at USC (on Dean's list every semester no less). I've never been able decide whether I'm not giving myself enough credit, or if my teachers are just really generous. I never feel I know exactly what I'm talking about, and the people I'm talking to can usually tell. I've never been the best bluffer...or bullshitter. If I don't know anything about something, I'm done. So, I'm done with this paragraph.

I initially decided to go to grad school to prolong my transition into the "real world". It honestly was a last minute decision that came about after an arguement with a friend. I've never been the best at making decisions. Guilty. All of my biggest (& best) decisions have been made on a whim or last minute. I decided on grad school here because, well, I was here already. I just wasn't ready to leave Columbia. I was comfortable here. I was just starting to feel like I was where I belong. I had fallen in love with the media arts department and the people in it, and I just wasn't ready to leave it all yet. Also, the more I thought about it, the more I realized I was ill-prepared for the real world. Not because my school didn't prepare me, but because I didn't take advantage of as many outside projects as I should have. I did some projects outside of school, but none I felt were substantial enough to add to a reel or resume. Over the next three semesters, I aim to create respectable pieces of art and etc. etc....okay, I just want to make a great comedic short film and another awesome short film to put on the internet to showcase what I can do, so I can hopefully get a job and survive in this cruel, cruel world.

Right now, what is keeping me up at night is: ideas for my thesis, how to go about putting myself out on the internet, what is funny? Character ideas, shot ideas, locations, actors, CAN I PULL THIS OFF? How will this project dictate what I do next?

No comments:

Post a Comment