I've always been a bit conflicted about calling myself an "artist". I'm someone who takes others' opinions probably too seriously for my own good. A couple of years ago, I found myself in an identity crisis when I realized I had no substantial opinions of my own that were not influenced heavily by others around me. I felt lost, but thanks to a rocky relationship with a hardheaded boy, I learned to stand up for myself and to form and state my own opinions with no apologies. Before my awakening, so to speak, I would let people tell me what was art and what was not...based on their own opinions. And because of that, I believed "art" could only be paintings, drawings, etc, experimental films, serious/moody films, & documentaries...& an "artist" had to look unkempt, starving, and have no family or social life because they only eat, sleep, and breathe their "art". I've learned differently since, artist come in all shapes, sizes, and smells, and now I hold my perspective as one of my core values. I believe I have a unique outlook on things and I'd like to share it. I will stay true to myself and reflect that in my art.
Along with that, my faith is very important to me. I am a Christian, and though my art is not "preachy", I will never, ever create/work on anything disrespectful to God.
At the core of it all, I just simply want to make people laugh or fascinate them. Temporarily pluck the audience out of their world and invite them into the one I've created. I don't want to spark any type of arguement or debate or make people think about anything, honestly. Call me shallow, "the problem with the world today", whatever, but that's where I am in my life right now. I'll get into the serious stuff when I'm, like, 40.
No comments:
Post a Comment